Art Director / Graphic Designer
Kinetic is a full-service creative, marketing, and communications agency, committed to providing stand-out marketing solutions around the world while nestled in the heart of downtown Billings, Montana.
At Kinetic, we pride ourselves in choosing both clients and employees carefully; we strive to surround ourselves with the most talented and inspiring people around. Joining our close-knit, award-winning team means that you will not only be working on high-profile and exciting projects but will also be making a lasting impact on companies, large and small, that will benefit them for years to come, all while furthering your abilities as a creative marketing professional!
Members of Kinetic’s high-energy team enjoy a competitive salary and paid medical insurance with health insurance savings account access. Additionally, you will receive paid vacation, holidays, career development opportunities, and the chance to work alongside world-class creative colleagues.
The position of art director combines important creative executional responsibilities as well as collaborating with the creative director on departmental process and growth.
What You Will Do:
The art director is responsible for art from concept to completion in the production of advertising and marketing projects and campaigns and will work independently with the account teams, copywriters, designers, programmers and additional department teams to develop well thought out, executable and on-brand creative for our clients. The art director will advise and support other graphic designers by collaborating with and reviewing their projects.
The art director must possess superior visual conceptual skills and a knowledge of media requirements/terminology and vendor requirements / capabilities in order to be able to execute marketing projects from conception to production, including but not limited to brand development, logos, websites, brochures and product packaging. The depth of the position demands qualifications developed over a minimum of five to ten years of related graphic and supervisory experience.
Ultimately, you will ensure the design team promotes the Kinetic brand and our client brands by delivering high quality pieces on tight deadlines without missing the tiny details.
Reports to the creative director.
- Collaborates with the creative director to monitor the quality of finished artwork and conceptual materials produced by internal and freelance artists.
- Collaborates with the creative director on department business, including all creative and technical issues and requirements (hardware and software needs, upgrades, training, etc.).
- Design new brands, logos, websites, brochures, booklets, fliers, ads, TV commercials, billboards, and more, according to strategic plans provided by creative director / account executive, and by assignment from the creative director.
- Ensures efficient visual execution of creative concepts as assigned by creative director.
- Consults with the creative director, as well as copywriters, production, and account service personnel as necessary to achieve agency objectives.
- Helps establish and maintain the highest possible standards of reproduction for all TV, interactive/web, print, outdoor, audio / visual and collateral materials produced by the agency.
- Writes copy / headlines / scripts as requested.
- Participates and has a very active role in client discoveries and design presentations.
- Meets as needed with client service team members and interactive marketing personnel to ensure coordination between traditional and interactive advertising and marketing efforts.
- Works with production personnel, providing complete input, and any instruction and supervision required to smoothly complete production of approved design.
- Reviews production materials on assigned projects and signs off prior to forwarding job to project manager for further required approvals / outside production.
- Meets established deadlines or provides reasonable notice to the production department of special circumstances requiring deadline extension.
- Engages in any personal development necessary to stay current in advertising techniques and standards, and research activity required to become more familiar with clients’ businesses.
- Keeps creative director informed of need to upgrade design-related computer hardware / software. Maintains said equipment / supplies for use in the creative department.
Key Competencies & Skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Fine Art Design, Marketing or related discipline
- Extensive experience with InDesign, Photoshop, Lightroom and Illustrator
- Experience with other Adobe programs such as Premier, After Effects, etc.
- 7+ years in professional design, preferably with a marketing or creative agency
- Experience working with WordPress
- Heavy brand experience (creating and adhering to)
- Ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects
- Understanding of best practices for all mediums (digital and print)
- Bachelor’s degree, plus 3 to 5 years of experience in marketing, and / or public relations
- Agency experience preferred
- Knowledge and experience in online and digital strategies with an emphasis on content development and management
- Demonstrated integrity, responsibility and dependability
- Previous management experience in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to multitask on a large scale effectively
- Familiarity with computer programs (Microsoft Excel, Outlook, CRM, etc.)
What skills, knowledge and abilities are needed to fill this position?
Full well-rounded knowledge of design, composition and the basic building blocks of art and / or creativity. Working understanding of design software. Professional appearance and demeanor.
Good speaking skills.
What are the attributes of those who successfully fill this position?
Creative, open-minded, open to constructive criticism, able to give constructive criticism.
Warm / lighthearted personality. Driven. Team player, as well as self-motivated. Punctual.
Attention to detail. Creative translator. Be able to provide creative leadership. Don’t plagiarize!
How much / what level of productivity is expected from this position?
High level of productivity. Deadline oriented. Great time management skills. Organized.
What are the thinking requirements of the position?
Open-minded, creative, outside-the-box thinker, variety in creativity. Eye for design / composition. Flexible. Open to change. Able to move forward with little direction. Able to meet deadlines. Able to work quickly.
Does the position require travel or extended periods away from home / office?
Some travel. Conferences. Client meetings in and out of town.
Does the job stand alone, or will the worker perform as part of a team?
Both stand-alone and team player (more team player though)
How much direction / supervision is required? Is the position supervisory?
Some basic direction needed to start but can take off from there. Many projects can be completely self-started. The position will not have direct reports but will oversee the work of others.
Are there any other special requirements?
Knowledge of basic computer functions / fixes. Positive outlook on life. Willingness to go after any project. Confidence / vision that everything is possible.
To be considered for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Work for this position is full-time and salary will be based on work experience.
Members of Kinetic’s high-energy team enjoy competitive salary commensurate with experience, paid medical insurance with health insurance savings account access, as well as dental and vision insurance assistance. Additionally, employees receive paid vacation and holidays, career development support, and colleagues motivated to do great things for clients.
Kinetic’s office is located in the heart of downtown Billings, Montana, which recently won Outside Magazine’s 2016 Best Place to Live in the U.S. award. Billings gives our employees and their families excellent quality of life with access to the great outdoors including fishing, hiking, biking, camping, hunting, and many other outdoor activities.
To learn more about our firm, please visit our website at www.kineticmc.com.
Job Type: Full-time; In office
Pay: Depending on Experience