Your Guide to Effective Email Campaigns
Pierce Heska-McJannet Digital Director, Strategy and Innovation
Here’s the deal: Email works.
Here’s the next deal: People prefer to stay informed via email.
Here’s another deal: Until a new communication method outperforms email, we will use it!
Yes, I know that your cousin’s friend’s mom got 10x conversions on her social media ads versus the emails she was sending. Anecdotal evidence is great, but unfortunately, it doesn’t check all of the scientific method boxes. So we will break it down via data.
- There are 4 billion daily email users
- Active email accounts surpassed 5.6 billion in 2019
- Businesses who use segmented campaigns see as much as a 760% increase in revenue
- 74% of Baby Boomers think email is the most personal channel to communicate with brands
- 78% of marketers in 2020 said email is important to overall company success
- Brands that always include an A/B test in their emails generate an ROI of 48:1
- More than 8 out of 10 people will open a welcome email, generating 4x as many opens and 10x as many clicks as other email types
- 99% of email users check their inbox every day
OK, so now we know that email should work, but how can you leverage email to your advantage? In this article, we will go over three specific trends that will increase your email KPIs for 2022.
Know Your Audience
How many email programs have you signed up for? I can only speak for myself, and I have to assume it is in the thousands. And how many have provided me with even a remotely pleasurable experience? Seven. You read that right, seven. Only seven companies of the thousands that I have provided my information to have met my expectations.
From too many emails, to too few, to the wrong messaging and everything in between, there are 1,000 ways to screw it up and only a few ways to get it right. Think about your audience, think about the trust that they have given you… to not spam them daily with a different version of the same message. Take a step back and ask yourself: are these emails for me or for my user? If it’s the former, you could be in big trouble.
The solution is simple: Ask. How many times has a company asked you what you want from them? Be. That. Company. The guessing game is over, you are one click away from knowing that answer. If you aren’t that company, and want some help getting primary research from your target audience, don’t be afraid to ask us to do the leg work here at Kinetic.
RE-ENGAGE YOUR AUDIENCE
Last time I checked, most organizations have a welcome campaign, abandoned cart send, post-purchase thank you and so on. You know who you are. But what about a re-engagement campaign? Don’t let your leads die in your database. Hit them with a one-off offer that they cannot refuse. I remember the old timers saying “it costs 5x more to get a customer than it does to keep one,” so why neglect unengaged customers?
Here’s the best part: your current tech stack has a way to trigger this campaign automatically. Now you really have no reason to skip this campaign. Focus on both early- and late-stage email streams and make sure that the content for this series is unique and focuses on where your user currently is (not where you want them to be!). Do your future self a favor and get this set up!
Click here, or there, or here, or this thing. Don’t make your audience pull out a treasure map to find your CTA. The click-through rate of your emails is one of your top email KPIs — why are you killing it? Not to mention, it’s the gateway to your website and the main driver of traffic from email to action… get them there at all costs!
This may seem like a “duh” tip but I encourage you to test this over the next week on your marketing emails. Are the most obvious (non-CTA) items clickable? Maybe, maybe not… but they should be. We have conducted thousands of heat mapping experiments and you wouldn’t believe all of the different places that people click. From the most obvious to the “are we reading the same email?”
We aren’t reinventing the wheel here; we are just hoping to make it roll a little smoother. Email marketing is never ending, year after year, part of life like watching your kids graduate and start families, stars burning out in distant galaxies, plastic actually decomposing… you get the idea. It can become laborious, we get it. But if you are going to do it, put your best foot forward and knock it out of the park. It’s good for you, your business and your audience.
As promised, here are some more data points to quench your thirst.
- Gmail is the most popular email platform, exceeding 1.8 billion monthly users around the world A.K.A. “don’t design for Outlook!”
- 73% of millennials reported that they prefer to communicate via email for professional purposes
- The word “video” on the email subject line increases the open rate by 19% and the click-through rate by 65%. Plus, it decreases unsubscribes by 26%
- 63% of people said that they open an email to find discounts
- Welcome emails have the highest open rates (91.43%) with an average CTR of 26.9%, outperforming other email marketing types
- Automated emails drive 320% more revenue compared to non-automated emails
- Triggered emails have a 70.5% higher open rate and 152% higher click-through rate than routine email newsletters
- Segmented email campaigns caused a 760% increase in revenue
Digital Director, Strategy and Innovation
Pierce Heska-McJannet is a data-driven marketer, and believes that “every decision should be based off of data.” He brings a passion for digital marketing to Kinetic as our digital specialist. He’s from Regina, Saskatchewan, and earned a degree in Business Marketing at the University of Oregon.
He has expertise in marketing automation, inbound marketing, SEO, PPC, social media, demand generation and other areas. His automated campaigns deliver actionable data to help clients create better campaigns. He works to increase customer engagement on a number of platforms.Read more about Pierce